Magic place! If you want to escape from Semporna you finally will find the beauty of the semplicity( rooms, foods ,all you need). They take care of the island... read more and they answer you back soon instead of all others here! Barefoot all day, great people who manage the place....Chilly Moments! Thanks
May 3, 2023
We really recommend Luma Selakan highly! Very nice room with view, staff is kind, everything is clean, good and a big amount of food and it's sooooo nice for snorkeling!... read more Most people go there for diving but snorkeling is also really worth it! It's like a paradise
April 10, 2023
A Simple place to chill and dive with wonderful and friendly crews.
We were served with delicious home cooked meals, which made you feel at home (as a Malaysian).
... read more /> If you are a diver and love macro marine life, here is another good option to experience it.
No regret, that's for sure.
June 29, 2022
Stayed there for a weeks diving and could not have been happier. Great location in the middle of a marine park 30 minutes boat ride from Selekan. Eco setting... read more of a few wood chalets on stilts into the sea. Very comfortable. Water supply to the resort in collected rain water. Electricity is from solar panels at the rear. Regretably no hot water on site. However food and diving superb and most important is the staff were so welcoming and helpfull. They really made our stay special.. We were concerned about the security situation for tourists but were reassured by the strong military presence on the islands. All round great holiday.
I willload photos. Hope you like my review. Thanks for reading the detail. More
April 12, 2022
Luma Selekan is one of the most wonderful places our family has ever stayed. It is not perfect, but the location and the atmosphere make up for some of the... read more shortcomings. Before I list the pros and cons, first some things to note: their is no hot water, the water pressure is weak, there is no AC, and the food is limited in its options. These are things you should know up front before you book. If you are OK with these things, this place should be a top option for those looking to explore the nearby islands. Positives - Location - Located a short boat ride away from Bohey Dulang and Sibuan; this is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Selekan Island itself is not as beautiful as it's neighboring islands, but has a unique culture and friendly island village that is worth exploring during your downtime. - Accommodation Layout - As a family of five our room setup was perfect. The two rooms were connected by a short dock that overlooked the water. The dock has a ladder into the water and we put our drying rack out there as well. Each of our rooms also had a larger dock that extended out over the water and during high tides, our kids loved jumping off the dock into the water. - Food - I loved the food each meal and would put it as a... Luma Selekan is one of the most wonderful places our family has ever stayed. It is not perfect, but the location and the atmosphere make up for some of the shortcomings. Before I list the pros and cons, first some things to note: their is no hot water, the water pressure is weak, there is no AC, and the food is limited in its options. These are things you should know up front before you book. If you are OK with these things, this place should be a top option for those looking to explore the nearby islands.
- Location - Located a short boat ride away from Bohey Dulang and Sibuan; this is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Selekan Island itself is not as beautiful as it's neighboring islands, but has a unique culture and friendly island village that is worth exploring during your downtime.
- Accommodation Layout - As a family of five our room setup was perfect. The two rooms were connected by a short dock that overlooked the water. The dock has a ladder into the water and we put our drying rack out there as well. Each of our rooms also had a larger dock that extended out over the water and during high tides, our kids loved jumping off the dock into the water.
- Food - I loved the food each meal and would put it as a plus. However, if you're children are a bit picky (like my 5 year old), this place will pose some challenges. We packed lots of extra snacks and it was just fine.
- Atmosphere - The place is just really chill. We met some really nice people there - staff and other guests - and enjoyed spending part of our evening just chatting, playing the ukelele over the water, having a few beers (you have to bring your own), and playing board games.
- Room furniture - The room is a decent size. It seems like it wouldn't be too much to have them make some more shelves, or nightstands, or desks, or hangers. With a family of five, we needed more space to put our stuff.
- Itinerary Details - When you stay at Luma, you are right in the middle of the Semporna Islands and have easy and quick access to some really amazing places. We liked that we essentially had a boat and driver to ourselves each day. For example, one day, we were forced to leave Sibuan Island early because of an approaching thunderstorm; when the rain cleared, we asked if we could go to a different nearby island to explore the Bajau Laut culture and check out the beaches even though our island tour was essentially over for that day; the were (mostly) happy to accommodate this request. The reason, then, that this part ends up in the negative section was because there was still quite a bit to be desired from our 3 night, 2 day package. I get the sense - from talking with the other guests - that this operation really does a great job hosting divers. Hosting families, it seems, still has some room for improvement. For starters, we purchased the island hopping itinerary, and we did not go to all of the islands that were listed on the itinerary. In fact, on the first day, they only brought us to one island (Sibuan) that was about 15 minutes away. This is not really what I had in mind when we were going to go island "hopping." On the second day, they had us go to Bohey Dulang Island for the famous hike. We were super excited. We got there, registered, and started the hike up the mountain, only to be told about 2 minutes into the hike that two of my children could not go to the top because they were too young. Our guides - two young locals - seemed to know this but never mentioned it on the way there. When I asked them what the others will do if I and my eldest daughter hiked to the top, they just said "wait." I did not want most of my family to just sit and wait for us, so we all decided to not do the hike. This was the thing I was most excited about on our island hopping tour, and now we were leaving because there was no planning. Why could the boat driver not take the three family members who were waiting and drive them five minutes to go snorkelling? Next up, we went to Mantabuan, and it was such a low tide that we couldn't really snorkel. Why bring a family of five to a snorkelling spot that can't be snorkelled? Needless to say, our second day was the low point of our trip to Semporna. The next day was a bit better but still with some hiccups.
Overall, if they could improve their itinerary and island hopping guides, this place would be an easy 5/5. More
March 31, 2022
If you're looking for a private location with the best hospitality. This is the place to be! Amazing experience to stay here and took my PADI Open Water Course with... read more very passionate & attentive instructors. The staff here WILL make you feel at home. Luma' Selakan is truly a piece of heaven. Will definitely come back!
January 26, 2022
Was never a fan of diving or any water activities. Came to accompany my wife for her 2nd trip here (1st for me), wasnt expecting anything but the people there... read more greeted us like family. Their presence is the island helped the community, and the other way around naturally. I enjoyed being around the staff and instructors, who have taught me a lot about diving in just a few days as their passion and care of the ocean shows without telling. Changed my mind about diving straightaway. The place is AMAZING as it is, but the people made it more special. We even extended our flight for a few more night here, just to sleep under the stars at the jetty, little that i know that this trip becomes one of the best trip of my life. More
January 25, 2022
I took PADI Open Water Course for 3 Days with Luma Selakan and it was an amazing experience. It feels like home in Luma Selakan and all the staff are... read more very friendly and helpful.
Their dive instructors are very knowledgable and passionate. Luma Selakan is really recommended. Priceless experience here.
January 21, 2022
Spent 4 days 3 nights at Luma’ Selakan. A very private and exclusive resort 30 minutes off the coast of Semporna. Great host, we immediately became friends and made felt... read more at home once we stepped on the resort deck. Great dive sites, heaven for those looking for macro photography. Even did island tour during surface intervals - Tabbakumai, Mantabuan, Sibuan and Maiga Island. 1st night we were there, power from the island solar generator tripped for few seconds, pitch black with clear sky, we were suprised with the awesome view of the stars and milky way. So the second and third night, after dinner we requested the lights to be switched off so we can take the moment to relax and enjoy the beautiful sky above. Thanks to the host, our new friends - Zul, Basri, Bob and AhSeng. More
September 23, 2020
Luma' Selakan is definitely a must place to stay when you're at Semporna. I had a very good experience from the moment I did my booking with the owner, Amin... read more until the last day I left this place.
Zul who runs this place is definitely a great host. The place is very clean and safe.
I'm falling in love with this place the moment I stepped into this lovely water chalet. It's basic, simple and untouristy. Feel so much being at home. Besides, delicious good cooked by the local and breathtaking view from the room. I slept so well during my 4D3N here.
We enjoyed spending our time with Zul, Bob, Sharin, Shafik, Nasir and Jali during our stay. There are so much to write about them. You'll know when you stay with them.
It's definitely a great place to stay if you're coming to Semporna for snorkeling or diving. Great snorkeling guide and divemaster. You'll be in good hands diving with Bob and Zul. They even took nice pics of you underwater!
We left this place with heavy hearted. 4D3N is too short. We know some day we will definitely return to our 'home' at Luma' Selakan again!
September 17, 2020
It's was my first trip to Semporna & happy to stay at a brand new still house that expose a new level of experience to my kids. Meeting Bajau communities,... read more understanding their culture, boat people, stateless children is lessons taught not by schools. Red Divers Borneo had done awesome planning & package that more value to the quality & the service.
November 7, 2019
The view of the sea is just breathtaking. If you are looking for quite and wonderful place to relax, this place is perfect. We really loved our stay and the... read more hospitality. The hosts were really nice, helpful and accommodating. One thing we looked forward was amazing home cooked meal with fresh seafood. Definitely will come back again.
July 29, 2019
Great and warm hospitality..They welcome us as family..if you looking for privacy stay, Luma' Selakan is the best place. The sea was jewel blue, the sea song of the waves... read more soothed me.The sea around u is therapy that unforgettable
July 29, 2019
Luma' Selakan translates as Rumah (Malay) or House (English) in Selakan
The '4D3N Snorkelling' package covered all; from airport transfer, boat transfer, accommodation, 4x day meals. The activity itinerary... read more is well planned and flexible at the same time. The water chalet built extended from the island with jetty connecting to the Selakan Village is ex.cel.lent! Minimalist room design, and brilliant architecture to allow the sea breeze flows through. Sliding door infront of the bed gives the most beautiful wake up and good night view, or to just sit there enjoying your coffee and books in the evening. Drinking water, bath gel, shampoo, and conditioner provided generously. Private bathroom attached at every room. Common bathroom for bunker bedroom.
Location wise, though located only 20 minutes from the city the water is clean and clear. You can see fishes and starfish clearly. Only 15 minutes to the main attractions - Bohey Dulang, Sibuan, Maiga etc. So you get to be the earliest to arrive at the spots! The host/crews were very generous of their time, they wont rush you to follow through the plan, therefore I spent more time at my fav spots i.e.: Bohey Dulang and Sibuan longer than the other spots. You can even mingle around Selakan Village by foot to experience their daily lives with warm welcome if time and weather permits.
The meals catered by the villagers were fresh, gives you a taste of local delicacies. Never have I been so happy than seeing the food boat is arriving from the front porch at every meal time.
The crews - host, driver, and boat man were very friendly and informative. They made me felt that I've known them for so long. Unlimited supply of electricity and fresh water (keyword: prudent). Open kitchen with necessary appliances (freezer, cooker, kettle etc) & supplies (hot drinks, instant noodles, condiments), and BBQ stand - free to use anytime.
Excellent professional service provider, quiet and private place. Perfectly safe for female solo travelling. Perfect natural retreat and detox from the city life.
July 24, 2019
Magic place! If you want to escape from Semporna you finally will find the beauty of the semplicity( rooms, foods ,all you need). They take care of the island... read more
May 3, 2023
We really recommend Luma Selakan highly! Very nice room with view, staff is kind, everything is clean, good and a big amount of food and it's sooooo nice for snorkeling!... read more
April 10, 2023